Thursday, January 12, 2012

Soda Bubbles


This is my how to on shooting soda bubbles. Once again with all photography there are many ways in which to capture an image and this is simply the way that worked for me.

Let's start with my equipment list:
- Nikon D90
- 105mm Nikkor lens
- Circular Polariser
- Tripod
- Strong string
- Cable shutter release
- Large Bowl
- Cold, generic soda water
- Table
- Strawberries
- Toothpick

Next up let's have a look at my reasons for using this equipment.

The Nikon D90 is a DSLR camera which gives me greater control of my settings and in this shoot I shot on manual which enabled me to decide shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure. I also used the cable release to help counter any hand shake and so I could reach the strawberry with my other hand.
The 105mm lens was my choice as it is a Macro lens which gives me the ability to get up close and gain the real detail in the strawberry and bubbles.
The circular polariser is used to remove the reflection from the water and allow me to just see the strawberry and bubbles without glare it also can help to make the colours richer.
The tripod and strong string go together in allowing me to have the camera parallel to the bowl. I use the string to counter balance the tripod by tieing it to my pool fence.
I used a large bowl on a table so I could put my hand in the bowl without it being seen to hold the strawberry in place with the toothpick.
I found hot soda to have less of a "bubble" effect compared to cold soda.

Let's see how to set up this equipment and the settings I used. I will give an explanation of my camera settings also.

I started by finding a well lit area. I chose to do this outdoors under the corner of our verandah so that I had natural light coming in but no light directly over the bowl to help reduce glare. I put the bowl on a small table so I could stand in a comfortable position. I set my tripod to the side and extended the head over the bowl. I filled the bowl with soda water before putting my camera on (if you fill it whilst you camer is over it cover you lens to protect it from the fizzing water). I stuck a toothpick in the strawberry and had it ready to go.
I then set my camera up by putting my 105mm lens on with it's polariser, inserted my cable release, turned VR off and put it on my tripod.
I then fired a couple of test shots off whilst on aperture priority to see the results, which I wasn't happy with. I then switched to manual mode and found that the settings that worked for me at this point were ISO 800, f/6.3, 1/100s with AF-A no exposure compensation and since I shoot in RAW and J-peg knowing I would use the RAW file I also had AWB.
So why THESE settings?
Firstly you need to know that the weather wasn't ideal for outdoor shooting with plenty of cloud around which brought a lot of shade but still had some nice natural light - so to compensate for the lack of direct light my ISO went to 800. I knew I wanted to get as many bubbles in focus as possible but I didn't want the table/floor coming through over the images and so I set my aperture at f/6.3. Now for my shutter speed I needed something that was quick enough to compensate for any hand movement whilst I was holding the strawberry but also let enough light in so my image wasn't too dark. I had the added benefit that once the bubbles settled they weren't moving too fast so I didn't need a higher shutter speed. I used AF-A on my camer over AF-C as I found that if the macro was constantly trying to focus it would often go out of focus and take a bit more to get it right.

Now you know my set up, my justification and my settings - how did I get this shot?

Using the strawberry with the toothpick in it, I held the other end of the toothpick and rotated it so it would be out of shot and the strawberry would be qall you saw. Looking through the view finder I positioned the strawberry where I needed it, gave it a shake to attract some bubbles and then grabbed my cable release and clicked away!

That is how I did the shot at the top of this blog and I hope this helps you to capture the image you're looking for.







Left to right - Complete set up. Lens with polariser and cable release. Strawberry with toothpick 


 Left to right - Counter weighted. Lens settings


HAPPY SHOOTING!

1 comment: